Monday, March 19, 2007


IDW announced this past weekend at WizardWorld LA that they'd be publishing a deluxe Terry and the Pirates collection in honor of Milton Caniff's 100th anniversary, and while I didn't pick up their Dick Tracy collection, they looked pretty awesome, and since this is going to be in the same format, I'll probably be taking one home.
In researching Danger Ace, I've been reading reprints of Caniff's Steve Canyon strip and those have been fantastic. I've read some of ...Pirates before, but never enough to get a good feel for it, so I'm really looking forward to sitting down with this one.
Not to go into "dear diary" mood, but I've been thinking lately about the number of comics I read each month and the way I read them.
Since last year, I've cut back on monthly comics quite a bit. Post-Infinite Crisis, and now Post-Civil War, I'm just not enjoying them like I probably should be to spend what I do. And it's not because things have changed at Marvel and DC, or that "new" comics don't feel like books I grew up with. I'm not opposed to change as long as it's well done and makes sense.
I think the general Marvel and DC audience has really lowered their standards, and seem to be willing to accept pretty much whatever gets sat in front of them, and I'm just kind of tired of watching it happen month after month... I don't think it's going to get better; I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel.
I thought about spending a few paragraphs laying out exactly what I mean, but if you don't kind of get what I'm saying, I'm not sure I'm articulate enough to clear things up.
So I've cut my in-store pulllist down to roughly 10/15 titles, and I'll be reading a lot more indie comics and buying more stuff in trades, like Fables, Walking Dead, Runaways, Ex Machina, etc... I think the answer for me is to just take a break from the big two for a little while and see what else I'm missing.
Wish me luck!

No comments: